Saturday, March 1, 2008

Scientology is Destroying My Faith in Humanity


First and foremost, I have to admit my utter shock and dismay at learning that Jason Lee, a longtime favorite actor of mine, is a scientologist. Apparently he has had ties with the church since the 1980s. I am upset with myself for not finding out sooner, and for allowing myself to become attached. His only redeeming quality in my mind at this point (beside Mallrats, I could never hate Mallrats) is his decision to not throw his beliefs in the face of others.

My now-dead relationship with Jason Lee aside, I really do believe that Scientology is a thing to be feared and despised. Now, before I start sounding like a Christian propagandist speaking about Harry Potter's demonic tendencies, I want to qualify something. I think that ALL religions are stupid.

The reason that Scientology elicits so much more rage from me is not that it is far more irrational than other religions. In reality, it is not. I mean, is the story of Xenu bringing billions of people to Earth 75 million years ago in spacecraft resembling Douglas DC-8s really that far fetched? Trick question--of course it is. The thing to keep in mind is that Catholics believe God doesn't want them to eat meat on Friday, and Mormons believe Joseph Smith was a real prophet of God. Every religion has its superstitions, and this is not the reason I despise Scientology above the rest.

Their are far more pressing reasons to hate Scientology. First, and foremost, are Scientologists. They are even more pretentious than Christians in choking others with their beliefs. And, unfortunately for everyone, prominent Scientologists tend to be rich, famous, or both. This, also very unfortunately, tends to mean that they think people want to hear what they have to say, and they have the capacity to make it happen. Tom Cruise is obviously at the head of the retard-brigade in this respect, but there are an INORDINATE number of prominent Scientologists.

Their prominence, coupled with their immense desire to "share" their faith with others, is also a reason Scientology scares the bejeezus out of me. Some of these are (somewhat) intelligent people and they may actually be able to convince others. Their disease may spread.

The exceptionally cliquey nature of Hollywood, coupled with this most debilitating mental illness, has the potential to create an epidemic. I don't want to be forced into seeing a movie starring an all-Scientologist cast, but that's the future I foresee. It's only a matter of time if someone doesn't stand up. Well, I can't let it happen. I love movies too much to hate every one I watch. Matt Stone and Trey Parker took a big step when they showed everyone just how stupid Scientology is, and if you haven't seen that South Park, watch it.

I would urge everyone to avoid any movies featuring prominent Scientologist actors and actresses, but that won't happen. I'm going to try. I am well aware that this would mean passing on some quality flicks, but it is for the greater good, and it is a personal quest. If you ever want to go see another Tom Cruise flick, stop to think, "This man ate the placenta after his child was born in complete silence (he wouldn't allow the doctors, or even his wife, to make a sound during the delivery), and he is obviously a raging fucktard." And then just don't go. Simple as that.

No comments: