Saturday, March 22, 2008

Moderation = Boring


There is one word in the English lexicon that has prevented more fun than any other. I'll admit, I had heard it thrown around from time to time, but had to look it up to write this. Apparently, "moderation" is the avoidance of excess or extremes. Doesn't sound very fun to me. Everything I do, I try to do in extremes. This is especially true of my drinking, gambling, smoking, and other perceived "negative" behaviors.

I consider these, of course, to be my primary life activities. In such activities, this "moderation" is not my traditional approach. This is because I can't remember many good stories that revolve around me drinking one beer an hour for an evening, or from winning $15 playing online poker and stopping while I'm "ahead." I don't remember anyone regaling me with a story of the weekend that they slept with their girlfriend twice in three days.

Don't get me wrong here, there are some things I do in moderation. School, work, and responsibility--these are the primary examples of restraint in my life. In the realm of enjoyable things, however, self-discipline has no place.

Yes, I have paid for some of this excess with countless hangovers and drunken injuries, financial instability, and a few strained relationships along the way. Knowing what I know, though, I still think it's been more fun this way. The last thing I ever wanted was to be "that guy," the one who hates his middle-of-the-road job and his middle-of-the-road existence, and regrets playing everything safe. At this rate, though, that's not something I'll have to worry about.

No comments: