Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Judge Judy is a bitch

In the hustling-and-bustling that exemplifies my days off from my current gas-station job, I channel-surfed by Judge Judy for the first time in years. Among limited options, I unfortunately stopped to watch what I was sure was going to be some kind of circus.

Judy did not disappoint. She took no time at all to cut down her hapless defendant before turning a cruel eye on her slack-jawed plaintiff.

I did not feel sorry for them. In a dispute too stupid for me to remember, these folks opted to have their case aired out on national television in front of a camera-mugging she-dragon. That was their mistake.

What struck me most was Judy's hypocritical actions, shouting at dullards to respect her while showing them no respect whatsoever. These people, already so trodden-over by life that they would willingly choose to have their 6 minutes of fame spent cowering from a hideous, fire-spewing demon-bitch, are sad enough without Judy's heckling.

I asked my mom, "Why do you watch this shit?" Her response did not surprise me. "I like Judge Judy," she said, referring to the woman rather than the show, "because she puts people in their place and calls them on their shit."

I like to think my mom is indicative of far-too-great a percentage of Americans. These people are seeking vicarious justice. They want to see things "told like they are." In reality, the farce they are watching is nothing more than the ravings of a verbally-sadistic, power-mongering old woman. TV sucks, Americans are stupid, and Judge Judy is a bitch.


Jeff N.

No comments: